We often wonder why, even when we take great care of our hair, we can’t get it to grow out, we still see it breaking off, and sometimes it even lacks shine and moisture that we crave.
If you are seeking out natural hair care tips or the best products for natural hair, it is likely that you are having frustrations with your hair with respect to these issues.
Well the problem and solution can usually be found in the hair products you are using. Most commercial hair care products include harmful ingredients that damage hair, dry out both the hair and scalp, and are simply unhealthy to use. You should also look out for these products in your makeup, lotions and other personal care products.
Take a look at the products that you currently use on your hair to see if they contain any or all of these harmful ingredients. Remember, ingredients are usually listed in order of highest content in a product. This means that usually water is listed first, then, in oils and moisturizers, the next ingredient is usually petroleum and or mineral oil, then alcohol. The list of harmful contents continues until you get to fragrance at the end. Do yourself a favor and, like on the diet and weight loss shows, just throw this junk out! Of course, if we are talking about your absolute favorite product in the world and it doesn’t contain too many harsh ingredients, you can probably still use it in moderation. But the best way to go is to avoid all of these things, all of the time.
Natural Hair Care Tips: Harmful Ingredients
- Alcohol – Alcohol is found in many hair products and depending on the kind, can be very drying for the hair. In general Stearyl and Cetyl alcohol are considered “fatty” alcohols and are derived from natural sources. These are okay. Ethanol and Isopropyl alcohol should be avoided.
- Miner Oil and Petrolatum – These are both derivatives of crude oil (petroleum). They coat the hair and skin preventing moisture and oxygen from getting in or out. Basically using these products is the same as suffocating your hair.
- Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol – This stuff is used in making products such as oven cleaner and antifreeze… and also in hair products because the polyethylene can be used as a thickening agent and the propylene can quickly penetrate the skin or hair shaft. Basically these are toxic substances. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – These are detergents used mostly in shampoos to create the lathering effect. They are also used in car wash soaps, garage floor cleaners and engine degreases… wow. In addition to just being very drying to the hair, scalp and skin, they are just toxic and unhealthy for your body.
- Dimethicone and other “cones” – Dimethicone is a form of silicone ‘wax’ which creates the illusion of softness in your hair but in the long run dries it out because it is, after all, a chemical.
The best natural product to use instead!
Thank you for visiting the Natural Hair Care Tips site!